Comprehensive Sexual Health Education Instructional Materials Committee
In 2020, the Washington State Legislature passed Senate Bill 5395, which updates the Healthy Youth Act by requiring public schools to provide comprehensive sexual health education to all students by the 2022-23 school year, with requirements phased in starting in 2020. Senate Bill 5395 went into effect on December 3, 2020.
Current requirements can be found in Revised Code of Washington (RCW) 28A.300.475.
The Lakewood School Board directed the administration to form a committee during the 2021-22 school year to review, select and recommend Comprehensive Sexual Health Education instructional materials for adoption in Grades K-12, for use in classrooms in the fall 2022.
- June 2022: Team will recommend Comprehensive Sexual Health Education curriculum materials to the Curriculum and Instructional Materials Committee (CIMC).
- July 2022: Recommended Comprehensive Sexual Health Education curriculum materials will be made available for review by members of the community.
- Early August 2022: CIMC will consider approval of materials and recommend to the School Board.
- Mid-August 2022: School Board will consider CIMC recommended materials for approval.
- September 2022: Community Forum