Classified Employees

  • Classified positions do not require a teaching certificate.

    General requirements

    • High school diploma or equivalent
    • For bus/van drivers and mechanics: At least five years of experience driving a personal vehicle.
    • For para-educators: AA degree or higher in related field, two years of higher education, or demonstration of successful passage of ETS ParaPro Assessment.
    • For kitchen assistants: Washington State Food Worker Card (available from the state for $10.)
    • Pass a background check ($50.00 paid to OSPI) prior to first day of employment.

    How many hours will I work?

    Some positions only require 2.5 hours per day (kitchen assistant). Para-educator positions are generally 6.25 hours per day. Only want to work occasionally? Substitutes are needed in multiple positions and you decide what days you are available to work.

    Do I work on non-school days?

    Most classified (non-teaching) positions follow the student calendar, though there might be opportunities to work additional hours.

    What kind of training is provided?

    Drivers receive training to obtain a CDL permit and additional driver training. Bus drivers can receive up to $2,000 in incentives.

    What will I get paid?

    Starting pay for the following positions (a more detailed range is listed with each job description):

    • Drivers: $24.79/hr (bus); $20.44/hr (van)
    • Para-educators: $19.95/hr
    • Kitchen Assistants: $17.60/hr


    Employees who work at least 630 hours per year (about 3.5 hours per day) are eligible for the following benefits:

    • Medical/dental/vision benefits through Washington state’s School Employees Benefits Board (SEBB).
    • Washington state retirement plan
    • Employee Assistance Program