• Interpretation and Translation Services

    All parents have the right to information about their child’s education in a language they understand. When your child enrolls in school, the school will ask you about the language you would like to use when communicating with the school. This helps your school identify your language needs so they can provide an interpreter or translated documents, free of charge.

    What you can expect from your school and school district

    You are an important part of your child’s education!

    The school will communicate with you—in your language—about your child’s education. This might include translated documents or a language interpreter for meetings and conversations.

    You have the right to these services even if you speak some English and even if your child can speak or read in English.

    The school will communicate with you in your language about important information and opportunities for your child. This includes information about:

    • Registration and enrollment in school
    • Grades, academic standards, and graduation
    • School rules and student discipline
    • Attendance, absences, and withdrawal
    • Parent permission for activities or programs
    • Health, safety, and emergencies
    • School closures
    • Opportunities to access programs or services—including highly capable, advanced placement, and English language learner programs
    • Special education and services for students with disabilities

    Meetings and conversations with teachers and school employees

    When you talk with teachers or school employees, the school will offer an interpreter if you need one. This includes parent–teacher conferences, meetings about special education, or any other conversations about your child’s education.

    Your school may provide interpreters over the phone or over Zoom using a service called Language Link. 

    For brief questions and conversations, all schools and district buildings have language tablets to help with 2-way conversations in real time. For longer conversations, school staff will usually use Language Link interpreter services. Families can request Language Link interpreter services at any time.

    Have questions or concerns? Need support?

    If you have any questions or would like to request an interpreter or translation, your school can help. You can ask anyone in the school for help, or you can ask these staff members: