Did you know that you can fall behind in school by missing just 10% of the school year? That can mean just 2 days a month or 18 days a year for any reason, excused or unexcused. Lakewood School District considers regular and punctual attendance to be a necessary part of student learning.
- Students are expected to arrive at school on time and be in class when it commences.
- Students will attend all scheduled classes, in their entirety, every day without tardies, skips or unexcused absences.
- If a student misses any part of a school day, parents will communicate the reason for the absence to the attendance secretary at the school he/she attends. This will need to be done in a timely manner consistent with school attendance policy.
- A student may be required to attend a conference if unexcused absences begin to accumulate and the school will be required to file a truancy petition if a student collects 7 unexcused absences within a month or 10 unexcused absences within the school year.
- A student will be withdrawn from school if he/she has 20 consecutive days of absence. If the registrar does not receive a request for records within 10 days of that withdrawal, a truancy petition will be filed with the juvenile court.