Harassment, Intimidation and Bullying (HIB): Resources and Reporting
The Lakewood School District is committed to a safe and civil educational environment for all students, employees, volunteers, and parents/legal guardians that are free from harassment, intimidation or bullying. In order to ensure respect and prevent harm, it is a violation of District Policy 3207 for a student to be harassed, intimidated, or bullied by others in the school community, at school-sponsored events, or when such actions create a substantial disruption to the educational process.
How do I report an incident of harassment, intimidation and/or bullying (HIB)?
All incidents of harassment, intimidation, and bullying should be reported to school administration or any staff member. Any student who believes he or she has been the target of unresolved, severe or persistent harassment, intimidation or bullying may report incidents orally or in writing to any staff member. Any other person in the school community who observes or receives notice that a student has or may have been the target of harassment, intimidation or bullying also may report incidents to any staff member.
District Compliance Officer
To report an instance of harassment, intimidation, or bullying please contact your school administrator first. If your concern is not completely addressed by the school administration, please contact Tim Haines, Executive Director of HR & Student Services, at 360-652-4500.
Washington State Legal Definition
Harassment, intimidation, or bullying means any intentional electronic, written, verbal, or physical act when the intentional electronic, written, verbal, or physical act:
- Physically harms a student or damages the student's property; or
- Has the effect of substantially interfering with a student's education; or
- Is so severe, persistent, or pervasive that it creates an intimidating or threatening educational environment
- Has the effect of substantially disrupting the orderly operation of the school.
- OSPI School Safety Center- Harassment, Intimidation, and Bullying
- OSPI School Safety Center- Cyberbullying & Digital/Internet Safety
- OSPI Gender Inclusive Schools
- Pacer's National Bullying Prevention Center
- Stop Bullying.Gov
- 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline