Inclement Weather Information
The winter months sometimes bring weather conditions that require school schedule delays or closure. The safety of our students and staff is our highest priority. District administrators begin evaluating conditions in and around our area beginning as early as 3:30 a.m. on days we experience severe weather. The decision to delay or close school is usually made by 5:30 a.m.
How can I find out about changes?
The District uses a number of tools to communicate schedule changes to families.
- Visit FlashAlert. You can also subscribe to receive automated e-mail or text alerts.
- Television and radio stations.
- Transportation Information Line: Pre-recorded information on weather-related delays or closures: 360-654-2024.
- Email to families from the district.
- LWSD mobile app.
- Families who included a phone number, designated as a cell phone, during registration will receive a text message at that number from the district.
- Visit the District website and Facebook page for updates.
To avoid phone calls in the early morning hours, we do not use our automated calling system. If no messages are posted, schools are open and operating on normal schedules.
Limited Transportation Bus Routes
During the school year, there may be times when some of our buses will be running on Limited Transportation Routes. This usually occurs when there is snow or ice on the roadways. These alternate routes have been established to avoid the more difficult areas to travel during hazardous conditions. Routes 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 11 have limited routes. If your student rides one of these buses, please review their route information. These are target stops and times on their route.
When buses are operating on limited transportation routes, no out-of-district transportation will be provided. Also, during limited transportation, all Lakewood School District elementary (K-5) students who do not have an adult or family member to meet them at an alternate bus stop will be returned to school. Parents will then be contacted at home or work to pick up their child.
- Schools Closed-All schools will be closed for one day at a time only! All meetings, field trips, after-school activities, etc. will be canceled for the day.
- Schools Open-Two hours Late - If school opening is delayed, students will be dismissed at the regular time unless otherwise announced. When two hours late, school breakfast will not be served and AM/PM DD Pre-school and AM/PM ECEAP will be canceled.
As many of our families live in areas where power outages can happen more frequently, please know that the district traditionally does not cancel school in the event of a power outage unless we lose power on our campuses or across large portions of the district. We will notify you if this is the case.